_

_

Tuesday 16 September 2014

World Championships Edmonton Canada.

Sprint Distance World Championships.
29th August- Edmonton Canada.

Time: 1:05
750 swim - 11:00
20 km bike- 32:19
5km run- 17:30

Position- 17th

So although this race feels like ages ago it was about time i gave an update of how it actually went! I flew out to Canada about 6 days prior to my first race, i thought this would give me enough time to get used to the time zone, the climate and suss out the course. The days leading up to the race went exactly like that, I would usually do some training mostly on the race course, attend registrations, events or meetings and try and rest as much as possible.

After a couple of days and once the jet lag had faded i was feeling ready to go and in good shape. After attending the opening ceremony, parade of nations and opening banquet it was back to my hotel room to sleep and get ready. I was feeling extremely nervous, i think seeing all the other countries and athletes really put it into perspective that I was racing the World Championships in the morning!

At the race venue it was looking like it would be a beautiful day, i set up my final things in transition had a chat with a couple of team mates and close friends and begun my usual warm up. After that we were in the holding pen, ready to be led out onto the beach. For me this was an incredible moment, we walked across the grass lead by a bagpiper and the crowds surrounded us cheering us to the start. My adrenaline was definitely going through the roof at this point and i felt completely ready.

The race start was a dive in from the beach, I knew it was going to be crowded so tried to pick a spot that seemed at least a little less crowded and lined up. As we stood there waiting i just thought about how hard i had worked to be there and my heart was almost beating out of my wetsuit. Next, the horn sounded and we were off.

Swim
The swim was less chaotic than i thought it would be, I had a strong fast start and tried to push away from the crowds. After the first bouy I just tried to settle into a rhythm and focus on my own race. Occasionally I would try and draft from a swimmer and just keep out of trouble. I was swimming a lot harder than normal as when I came out the water for the run into transition i could hardly breathe. We had a long run into transition and at first i was really struggling to breathe, i can't explain why but it was a little scary at first. I soon calmed down and was ready to grab the bike.

Bike
I knew the bike course suited me and I knew it would be fast, it had a couple of climbs: one at the start which was quite steep but short and i had ridden many times previous to the race, the second climb was a long gradual uphill which was seriously fast, the tarmac was brand new and with a bit of wind you could fly up the hill! Onto the bike i just set to work, trying to catch some swimmers and putting in a strong effort. The roads were closed and generally brilliant quality so the riding was fantastic, On a couple of the downhill and flat sections there was a strong headwind but with the tailwind there wasn't much of a lost time. At points the course was quite crowded and with some questionable bike handling i just made sure to keep safe and go as hard as i could.

Run
Coming off the bike i was feeling fantastic, the crowds were amazing and although i went very hard on the bike i knew i had the run legs. The run course was a little strange, it was semi off road on a forest trail and quite narrow in places. It wasn't the fastest run course but still i was hoping to finish with a strong run. After the trail you pop out back into the park where the crowds were amazing and you have people to chase down. I just kept telling myself to go harder and harder until i crossed the line.

I finished the Sprint race 17th and was delighted! 17th in a World Championships in my first proper year of triathlon felt incredible! I don't think i could have really done much better in the race so it was a good reflection of where i am compared to the World! It was then time to rest as i had the Olympic distance race 2 days later!









No comments:

Post a Comment