_

_

Thursday 31 December 2015

Another year gone.

950. That's a pretty big number, one that means something to me. The number of hours of training i have logged on Training Peaks this year. When i think about it is hard to comprehend, where did i find the time, the energy and the motivation for all of that? And thats when i started reflecting on this year.

I'm going to keep this short but 2015 has been an incredible year for me. It started with living in Spain and training full time, an opportunity that was incredible and really helped me understand myself, my sport and my training much better. Off the back of training full time my race season began very early and ended very late.

15 races or so this year and in May i raced every weekend, (one weekend the Saturday and Sunday!) Im very proud of all of my results this year, i won't list them all they can be found on this blog but i really felt i reached my fitness potential and every race went pretty well. The Europeans were an incredible opportunity for me in Switzerland as were the Worlds in Chicago. But i have left them both hungry for more, hungry for a podium and to finish higher up the field.

I also tested my legs at longer distance both in Spain and in Scotland and as i think about 2016 more this seems to be where my goals may take me. It's not decided yet, i am still trying to find what will motivate me but i don't want to rush this.

I think because this year was so long and hard and had some incredible lows and highs it's still taking time to decide where i want to focus and go in 2016. I have a rough idea, but i'm keeping that close to my heart at the moment. All i know is that it's going to take a lot of training, a lot of hard work and trying out some new training styles.

There won't be any living abroad this winter as i have landed an incredible job at Triathlon Scotland as an apprentice performance coach. This for me has been massive, a 3 year position in a sport i love and working alongside the best triathletes in Scotland and the UK is a very inspiring day job. It has also meant my new training ground is Stirling and i'm training with some top athletes. Stirling has produced some incredible athletes over the years so it's not Edinburgh but i'm enjoying the training ground around there!

I said i was keeping it short and ill stick to my promise. 2015 has been a year of learning, of racing, of new cities, experiences and challenges. It's not all been good but i'm happy with the year, im excited to move forward and see what 2016 will bring.

Thank you everyone who has supported me this year, my family, my coach Graeme, my training partners and everyone else who has been following my progress.

The road to 2016 started a few months ago but tomorrow it really begins.




No comments:

Post a Comment