_

_

Sunday 13 October 2013

Wadebridge Sprint Triathlon.

Wadebridge Sprint. 13th October

Swim 400m (pool swim) -  7:18
Bike 24km - 44:36
Run 5km  - 19:17

Finish time, 1:12:49
18th overall, 11th in age group (17/39)

Today was Wadebridge sprint triathlon, the last event in the Cornish series and also my last race of my first triathlon season.
My good friend Will came down for the weekend and so was kind enough to drive me to the race, fortunately unlike most races this was a bit of a later start so i had a good nights sleep and a big breakfast to set me up. We arrived in good time for me to have transition set up and get a good warm up. The swim was in a pool which was something new but also meant that the water would be much warmer than normal so i looked forward to that.

The swim was also shorter than a normal sprint and not being the best swimmer i was again pretty excited! Once my number was called i jumped in the pool and got ready to go, unlike other races this season i was less nervous and had a solid race plan in my head. The swim went really well, i got into a steady rhythm and felt very comfortable. Initially i went a bit too fast as i was excited but soon settled down. Annoyingly the bottom of the pool and the pool wall were both blue making the ends of lengths hard to see so this made a few of my turns a bit clumsy. However when the float was tapped on my head with two lengths to go i pushed on and came out the pool knowing i swam well.

Transition was fast and after thinking i was lost i was safely onto the bike section. I was really looking forward to this, i had my new bike tri bars clipped on and the garmin all set up. The bike course is 12km out and 12 back in, the out course was hilly. I didn't really study the route so wasn't that ready but as i a a strong climber i pushed on and made up a good bit of time. Once i was on the tri bars with the new bike spinning beneath me i felt like i was flying. I felt fast in control and good there was also a strange silence from the bike and no gears jumping that im used too! After the turn around i picked up the pace, i wanted to catch a couple more people on the bike and really push the second section. The bike responded and i was picking up pace again, myself and another competitor who was on a tri bike kept going head to head but after two climbs i managed to drop him and was feeling really strong. In the last couple of k's i started thinking about the run and making sure i was hydrated.

Transition 2 went well and i was off on the run. The run has a long steep downhill to begin with so this was good to get the legs going it was 2.5k out and back however meaning i would have to go back up the hill! The run was good however my chip timer on my ankle was way too tight. I felt like my ankle was being stabbed and that it may bleed, however i was never going to stop to change it. I picked up the pace after the halfway mark and lengthen my stride. The uphill near the end was quite comfortable even with another competitor throwing up all over the place next to me. I pushed on for a sprint finish and crossed the line exhausted but feeling like i ran a strong race.

My aim as 1 hour 15 so im very please with 1:12, i also finished 11th in my category and could't be more happy it was a really strong field and a tough course. The race went great for me, the new bike and my fitness felt really strong. It's a great way to end my season and very encouraging.

I would like to thank Will for driving me, his support and the following photos.







No comments:

Post a Comment