_

_

Thursday 22 May 2014

Race time.

So with the first of my big races coming up this weekend I thought I would post a little update on how things are going. Since my last post life has been hectic to say the least. Moving city, moving jobs and training grounds is a pretty crazy experience!

The move from Plymouth was a bit quick and for me it felt too soon but I suppose at times we just need to move on and see what is next. Since moving to Edinburgh i have just tried to get settled, train hard and figure out a routine that works for me. I work Monday to Friday 3-7pm so this leaves all morning and early afternoon for training which two weeks in is working so far. I usually come home from work and have loads of things to do eat quite late and definitely go to bed later than normal but I'm enjoying the hectic routine.

Most days i wake up early get my sessions done, sometimes needing to rest between and finish in time for lunch a coffee and usually a sit in some new cafe i can find! I enjoy this lifestyle at the moment, it''s crazy, busy and tiring but i just keep reminding myself this is it, i'm chasing my dream. Making enough money to get by and training as much as possible. My degree is finished and with a 2:1 in my dissertation things could go quite well!

Learning new training ground has been a bit tricky on the bike as the roads are much busier here but i'm finding my way pretty quickly. The running territory is brilliant with so much more trail running at my doorstep so that works for me. Swimming wise the commonwealth pool is 50m and with lanes all day i don't need to always be in the pool for 7am so that's been a fantastic change also! I have a few training partners already but triathlon is a pretty lonely sport so i won't need to find many more but I'm definitely looking forward to riding with some fast guys who live up here.

This Sunday will be Shropshire Olympic distance triathlon, a pretty big event as a GB age group World Qualifier for this year, i hope to qualify and produce a solid time but it's early days in the season and actually my first Olympic distance triathlon. I do feel great at the moment, i'm hitting some strong times running and thanks to a bike fit from Planet X i'm certainly more comfortable on the tri bars. Swimming wise i'm really beginning to understand where i can improve also.

I have probably spent my monthly wages this week but thanks to Run4it and Zone3 wetsuits i have some brilliant new race shoes and also a phenomenal wetsuit. At the end of the day i can train hard all the time but having the best kit is just as important!

Saturday i will drive down to England and check in to some incredible Manor house i managed to find last minute where they have agreed to cook me a feast and help as much as possible with my preparation! I'll sign in to the race the day before and also i might have a look at the course. I'm just going to try and remain as relaxed as possible and on Sunday hit the race as hard as i can.

I feel good, i have put in the training and the hard work and my kit is all good to go. I think I'm in a great state mentally i just need to have some relaxation a bit more as the last while has been full on.

Anyway thats all for now i will report back after the race! Hopefully a good weekend to come.

Picture 1/2- A coastal ride this week
3- New trail running territory
4- Incredible new kit from Run4it.



No comments:

Post a Comment