_

_

Friday 17 May 2013

St Austell Super Sprint.

St Austell Super Sprint. 12th May.
Swim 400m (sea swim)
Cycle 10km
Run 2.5km

Finish time. 40:20
Position. 3rd overall

My First race of the season was St Austell Super Sprint. It included the above distances and was a very fast frantic race. I was in the second wave for the swim and this was my first sea swim in a very cold 11 degrees. The swim started strong when i was sitting fourth in my group and feeling quite strong not letting the cold effect me, Once passing the first buoy i pushed up to sit third and from there i pushed harder feeling quite strong and emerged from the water second in the wave.

My transition felt fast and quick as my new aqua sphere wetsuit easily kicked off. I then sat comfortably onto the bike dropped into the tri bars and pushed on for the course. The course consisted of mainly a flat ride with false hills. The bike ran smoothly and my gears which had previous been an issue in training were completely fixed and smooth. My legs felt cold from the sea swim but i knew i just had to push on.

Into transition 2 and i was feeling good, i switched shoes and began the run course. Unfortunately half of the run was on sand, this was difficult to set a pace on however everyone would have the same problem. The run course was short and fast and so i made sure i increased my pace and pushed as hard as i could.

The finish of the race felt strong. I had no idea where i would come as i was in the second wave and i just ran my own race. However to find out i finished 3rd was a huge surprise but also an incredible moment. Yes it was only a super sprint and early in the season but i felt like training had been working and it was my first competitive triathlon (i have previously competed in one novice back in 2010). It was a good way to start the season and a boost on my confidence.

I would like to thank my good friend Will Furby for driving me to the race and supporting me.




No comments:

Post a Comment