_

_

Wednesday 29 May 2013

Train Hard, Race Easy

From recently reading Bradley Wiggins autobiography i took away a clear message. The harder your train, the easier you race. He openly stated many times sitting in the peloton was much easier than training. And the harder he trained, the easier therefore he raced. This is what i am currently aiming for and feel it is a good system to work with.

I am now back at home in Scotland for the summer months and i am continuing my training. Fortunately there are slightly less steep climbs around Angus than Devon and so i can cycle harder on the bike and feel more like i am training at triathlon race pace. There is a useful local swimming pool which also has a small gym so i am able to use the treadmill spinning bike and pool all in one session. I have also begun doing some track training. After my last event i felt i needed to improve my running and so i have been doing a mixture of sprints and other sessions on the school track.

My goals for the minute are not too loose form or fitness and train hard. It's hard at home to keep training so hard as i don't have anyone to cycle with at the minute. Long cycles into a headwind can be at times soul destroying. Fortunately a friend and fellow triathlete Gary Milne is home for a few days and training for Iron Man, i look forward to sessions with him.

I have two more events before i pause competing for the summer months to do some travelling.
I will be competing on:
June 16th The Bruce Triathlon (Sprint)
June 9th Knockburn Triathlon (Sprint)

I am really excited about these events, as of yet i have not done a sprint triathlon and they are situated in some great scenery, the swims are open water and i am getting used to open water swimming and find it very enjoyable. I also look forward to competing in Scotland where hopefully my parents will be able to come and support.

For now i'm going to keep training hard, keep my focus and continue to stick to my routines. The year so far is going great and i feel i am learning a lot and look forward to competing again.

Thanks for reading and the support so far.

(Picture from my first ride back at home)
(And an early evening session at the track)

No comments:

Post a Comment